Sunday, January 29, 2012

0 Happily filled

In a nice twist of chance, mum had us run an errand for her so Hamm & I ended up in the heart of Orchard after church. We headed back to our usual suspect - Cedele @ Wheelock. Eat well, live well, be well - comfort food at its best! This time I got the fish pesto garlic pasta:
Grilled white fish, topped with coriander pesto with garlic aglio olio pasta
First, the fish looked and tasted like it was pan-fried rather than grilled. The outsides were slightly charred, giving way to juicy, but not fishy, white flesh. I give them the benefit of the doubt since it was pretty nicely done. The pasta (linguine) was power packed with garlic, and a nice touch of peppers, tomatoes and french beans. The pesto sauce that came with the dish was however, in my opinion, too heavy on the lemon. Luckily in some way or another, when mixed, everything seemed to fall into place, flavours of garlic complementing the lemony pesto sauce and so on. I liked this better than the Rose's curry pasta I had previously, which was too assertive. For $16.90, you get a nice serving of fish, so it's a great deal.

Then it was off to Ion to get mum's chocolates for her friends party. We got Valrhona - a French chocolate brand. We all know it's famous, and quality doesn't come cheap. $49 for 16 chocolates = $3 per piece. If I were the person eating, I'll definitely nibble and savour each piece dearly till the very last chocolate drop. As we didn't have the privilege to enjoy the atas chocolates, we bought a mini Manjari bar (64% cocoa) for $4.

Our final destination was the recently opened Maison Kayser by baker doyenne Eric Kayser at Scotts Square. I expected it to be very crowded (you know how the 'it' shops tend to attract foodies it Sg). There was a queue but it wasn't snaking long, thankfully. I expected a much larger shop; the shop merely consisted of its display counter of breads, a couple of tables and nothing more. The staff were clearly overworked/understaffed. Five or more were crammed behind the 4m counter, squeezing their way past one another to get stuff, their faces carrying scorns, frowns and everything else but smiles. The counter itself was piled with uncleaned dishes; not a good sign. Although there is a dine-in option, most were there for takeaways.

I got the campagne, a whole meal plain bread. Although there was a lone loaf sitting at the display counter, the server had me waited just a couple minutes more for a freshly baked loaf. For that, I am so thankful and give thumbs up for service (despite their grumpy faces). The warm bread was emanating wafts of buttery bready-ness as I made my way home. I believe dinner will be awesomez. Planning on having it with avocado & herring slices in tomato sauce!

No comments :

Post a Comment