Tuesday, June 5, 2012

3 Venus Transit 2012

Don't miss your last chance to see Venus cross the face of the sun tomorrow. The transit of Venus occurs when the Sun, Venus and the Earth are aligned so that Venus appears as a small black dot gliding slowly across the Sun. This timings of this phenomenon is a quirky one: coming in pairs that are eight years apart, separated by a century. The last Venus Transit was in 2004, and the next pair would not be for another 105 years, in 2117. In other words, it will be a once-in-a-lifetime event for the world! In Singapore this is estimated to be most visible at about 9.30am, 6 June 2012.

This astronomical event is valued not only for its rarity but also the knowledge we can derive from it. Parallax, which causes the transit to look slightly different for two observers at different sites on Earth, allows scientists to calculate the distance from the Earth to Sun. Other sophisticated techniques are used to probe for the atmospheres of exoplanets, planets outside our solar system.

NUS is having an open house for Venus Transit on 5 and 6 June. Among the many events are an astro-photography exhibition by Remus Chua, a local astronomer, public talks, music performance by Robert Casteels and stargazing. I believe the music performance will be extremely interesting as it combines live celestial sounds captured by telescopes with normal 'earthly' sounds and a monologue. I'm NOT an astronomy buff, but I'm sharing all these because I'm a volunteer for the event. Meanwhile, it's fascinating to learn all these stuff and marvel and the wonders of the universe. See you there! Venus Transit @ NUS 2012.

3 comments :

  1. wow volunteer ! not bad aye, didn't know your into astronomical stuff too.

    yes fasting for 21 days w/out food, just pure water. people do it for 40 days as well, but thats too extreme for me. for now, my purpose is just so to get into a much intimate relationship with food. its significance, how blessed i am, and the very little things we take for granted especially our palette. like flavors, smell (although i still can do it without eat) and y'know. i just believe its such a humbling experience to go without food. and once you break fast, having each bite / sip of juice is like, i dunno, having the best meal on earth? haha but yeah, just really to discover more about myself, health, spirituality.

    okay lets go for harry potter. yes gonna be back on 26th. sq hasn't gotten back to me when i should meet them. called Mary who said she'll inform me in due time but hasn't gotten back to me since 3 weeks ago. but I'm not rushing to start SQ or anything, in fact a few months break before i start would do be some good (:

    The musical Hairspray is coming to brisbane end June, dunno if i have time to watch it. would like to catch a musical at QPAC (Queensland Performing Arts Centre before I head back!)

    As for batman, I think his getting more tame - age catching up on him? - which is good in a way! last time when he see dads, i don't even think a cuttlefish will entice him haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. have booked tix for hairspray (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Volunteered 'cause I had nothing to do and besides it's a once in a lifetime event! Did u manage to catch it? You'd need a solar filter though. I only managed to see the sun but not the black spot (Venus). I went star/planet gazing last night with telescopes provided by NUS/the public and saw amazing stuff! Mars, Saturn with rings and the Moon.

    So fun I want to watch another musical too! Reminds me of days in London. Somehow watching a musical in Singapore doesn't provide the same exciting feeling, even though it may be the exact same show. Enjoy Hairspray!

    PS. today at my first day of lab work I murdered many many flies (in larvae stage). Had to practice dissecting out the central brain and ventral nerve cord. Their bodies are quite elastic. Using forceps, have to pinch the mouthpart with one hand, and pull the body using the other hand. It feels quite elastic. Then the guts will spill out. Feel quite sad and guilty. All done under microscope. I think my eyesight will +1000 after my project.

    ReplyDelete