Wednesday, June 6, 2012

5 Gifts and thanks

Thank you for the wonderful time at Venus Transit, the opportunity to meet new people, make new friends and learn new information about the wondrous world. Above all, praise to the glorious magical universe of His divine design, His creation.

We helped to set up those ground sheets. No joke considering the humid weather of late. On a side note, isn't UTown so pretty?

Thank you for the watching over the safe delivery of the iHerb order.

I was beginning to wonder if my order of SunWarrior protein powder and Nuttzo seven nut butter, made without tracking (save $), was ever going to make it to my address. Given that this is my first online purchase, I was all the more worried. But it finally did arrive, two-three weeks later, and with freebies inside to boot! So freakin' excited to try out the stuff in tomorrow's breakfast. Even Batman's excited too! Stay tuned for the review.

Thank you for blessing the world with wondrous fruits and foods.

If Eve was tempted by the apple, durian would be my forbidden fruit. Baked Mao Shan durian steel cutters with Cashew Coconut Dream was a tropical paradise and provided good fuel for lab work later. It's NOT a weird combination; tastes just like a warm version of durian chendol :D

For my first lab session, I learnt how to distinguish between male and female flies, and virgin from old flies. Post-lunch I did CNS dissection of third instar larvae. I must have gruesomely killed about 50 would-be flies today alone, in the name of Science. Every time I close my eyes now I see abdomen stripes, guts and bug eyes staring back at me, demanding for their souls back.

5 comments :

  1. Glad you enjoyed your time volunteering (: haha was batman inquisitive on your package? what nut butter did you get?

    eew i can't imagine dissecting flies. my hair stands just the thought of it. was it easy to handle them though? are they dead already? but luckily its flies, not like animals. like rats or rabbits. i think you'll never look at flies in the same way again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Batty was more interested in the box and the brown paper stuffing inside than the products themselves! Unfortunately, the box was too small for him to squeeze inside. I got Nuttzo seven-nut butter: peanuts, flaxseed, hazelnuts, cashews, almonds, Brazil nuts and sunflower seeds. I opened it this morning and its amazing!! Superbly crunchy and creamy simultaneously! It's a crunchy nut butter style, and the 'butter' part was smooth and creamy while the nuts inside were the crunchiest nuts I'd ever had, seriously.

      The larvae were well alive and kicking, until I ripped their guts out and killed them :( Did the same stuff today and doing them same stuff again tmr. Must practice for the real deal.

      Delete
  2. Yeah it takes 2-3 weeks to arrive, sometimes 4 if it is holiday season or there is a promotion going on. They have never lost my order though!

    "Baked Mao Shan durian steel cutters with Cashew Coconut Dream"... wha??? Please explain ! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On their website the estimated time for delivery to Sg was stated as 9 days so I got a bit worried. Glad to hear that their service is trustworthy :) I foresee many more orders from iHerb in the future!

      As for my ingenuous breakfast...
      steel cutters = steel cut oats/irish oats/pinhead oats = whole oat groats chopped into smaller pieces, unlike the more common rolled oats, which are oat groats that have been steamed, rolled and flaked. They take a longer time to cook (approx 20-30 min) but the chewy, hearty texture is worth the time! I usually get Bob's Red Mill brand ($6.50 for a 680g bag)

      Mao Shan durian is the mao shan variety of durian, which I'm sure you know :) So basically I removed the flesh of the durian and mixed it into the steel cut oats, which had been soaked overnight in water/soymilk to shorten the cooking time. The entire mixture was then baked.

      Cashew Coconut Cream (not Dream, my mistake) is a blend of raw coconut butter and cashews by Loving Earth. Nevertheless, it is not wrong to call it a Dream. Very coconutty, buttery and fragrant! You can visit their website here: http://www.lovingearth.net/products/19/raw-organic-coconut-cashew-cream. I like to add nuts and/or drizzle nut butters to my oatmeal. Especially for nut butters, the hot oats will cause the butter to melt into a puddle of amazingness. I bought the Coconut Cashew Cream from Real Food Grocer at Killiney Road. It's quite expensive though at about $19 for a small 175g jar. I'm planning on making my own coconut butter from dessicated coconut soon :D

      Delete
  3. Durian chendol or oat durian cashew pengat :p Quite a feast.

    ReplyDelete