Thursday, April 12, 2012

4 The big fall

Woo hoo! Just submitted my LONGEST essay ever! I think it's 4000+ words? Anyway, I shouldn't be too overjoyed because I still have ONE more 3000 remaining, which I havent absolutely not start on, and to be due in one week!

On a side note, today I had a major fall at the escalator landing of TTSH. It was partly my fault and partly the Malay woman's fault. As usual, I was trying to squeeze my way through the afternoon lunch crowds, including those inconsiderate pple who either don't keep left on the escalator, such as this Malay woman with her baby pram. As I got off the first escalator and walked towards the second one, my slippers (maybe I shouldnt have worn haviannas?) got caught in the wheels of her stupid pram and I couldnt react in time. I fell forward with a thunderous thud on the metal landing of the second escalator. Heads turned, whispers were passed. And most vivdly, an intense jolt of pain coursing through my myelinated A-delta fibres from the sensory neurons in my knee and elbow, to the dorsal root ganglion and then up to the ventroposteromedial (VPM) thalamus in my brain (applying my neuroscience here, heehee). I supposed it could have been much worse; I could have fallen against the sharp edges of the escalator steps or (touch wood) knock my head against the steps and have a concussion! On hindsight, maybe then I would be relieved of all my essays and exams and robbed of my memory and then have a new start in life. Okay that's going a bit to far now.

So I hobbled home, and the rain did not make it any better (I forgot my umbrella). So there, my unlucky day.

4 comments :

  1. Ouch !! poor thing ! and the whole chunk you typed there, I did not understand a single word but im glad your fine. Can you imagine, doc: how do you feel? You: well.. I feel a sensation from my bla bla bla (regurgitate whatever you said).. ahaha would love to see the doc’s expression !

    So my 1 week break is coming to an end and I just gobbled 12 tim tams. Yknow for the past 10 days (minus yesterday which I did a 24hr fast and felt sooo good) I have been eating junk. I even ordered a McFlurry ice cream for lunch. Never had I ordered such stuff !! not only am I dismayed, im horrified, petrified, shocked :O anyway when I weighed myself im 54kg but that’s after fasting. I realize I gain and loose weight rather quickly.

    But I certainly can feel the difference in my body.. when I ingest dairy (like suddenly bulk up) and when I fast (I suddenly shrink). I can’t wait for next week to start. For the next 6 weeks or so, I’m gonna increase my IF to 3x weekly with no dairy intake apart from butter for cooking of foods.. and minimal carbs. I find my body actually works better on fat & protein. Remember how I used to say I can’t survive without carbs many years ago? Haha its all changing.. okay shan’t ramble too much, born a baby duck with the last essay !

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. did anyone help you after you fell? i mean after all, its a hospital ! there should be some acts of kindness

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah there were two pple (aunties) who tried to help me, but I tried to brush them off, haha.

    12 timtams in one sitting?! Wow, that's quite a feat! Well, just dont go overboard w your fasting, cos that's like not eating 3 out of 7 days a week. Ytd may neuroscience prof mentioned about caloric restriction and fasting. Starvation has been shown to induce autophagy (eating of one's own cellular organelles), which has good and bad points - it may ward off neurodegenerative diseases (ak AD) by reducing the accumulation of toxic proteins like tau and amyloid beta, but at the same time, may induce neuronal apoptosis/cell death. As u know, neurons mostly do not regenerate so once a neuron dies, there will never be a new replacement.

    Anyway, you can read more here if u don't know what i;m talking about. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/08/110802125546.htm
    Maybe that may explain ur junk food cravings?

    Anyway, for my weekly treat this week, I had Mr Bean's Double Chocolate pancake!! (A new flavor). The pancake part was dry and blah, but when I ate round the edge and got to the centre, it was oozing molten chocolate! I liked that it wasn't too sweet. Last day of school today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I know right ! I was disgusted at myself too. 12 tim tams at one sitting.. and later that night I ate up 4 more :/ okay I shall read your article ! I’m really excited to embark on my new meal plan. And yes I’m very careful with my 3 days a week fast. Shall do a weekly weigh in to monitor my weight. Don’t wish to look emaciated. And i’m gonna also abstaining from all dairy foods (milk, yoghurt, cheese & eggs) and only use butter for cooking. Because dairy really doesn’t work with my digestive system.

    So I’ll update you along the way. I took some pics of myself at 54kg, that’s 10 days after pure indulgence and pics of my stomach bloat after consuming coffee/milk/yoghurt.

    Apart from this area of my life, im wondering why SQ hasn’t gotten back to me. There’s no way I can contact them cuz they didn’t leave any HR email on the web. So if that’s the case, I gotta walk in the monthly interviews they hold and enquire about my status. I’ve got a feeling its because I put my availability in June that’s why it’s the delay – either that, they forgot to send me a rejection letter (perhaps I failed the surgery bit?).

    May is gonna be a hell month for me – so bless myself, and take good care of yourself ! Mr Bean pancake sounds good ! I’m so glad your going out and eating more stuff now. Veryvery good (: haha seems like I’m stricter with my food choices as compared to you now. If I do full paleo, no mr bean pancakes :/ and how i wished i was in that lecture of yours ! on fasting and CR

    ReplyDelete