Monday, September 5, 2011

1 From a grateful heart

Combined birthday celebration with 1-day-younger cousin.
I daresay I had the best weekend I could ever wish for. It started on Friday with an unexpected courier arriving at the doorstep. Tearing open the big brown package, I was touched by the softest pair of brown moccasins with sewn on details and a heartwarming birthday card from my sister Down Under. Then on Saturday, things got more fun with a combined birthday celebration with my cousin, who is born in the same year but 1 day later! The weekend culminated on a high with my first fine dining experience at Caffe B in Marina Bay Sands. Because I feel so blessed, I shall now start my speech, or rather, list of gratitude.

21 things I'm grateful for

  1. For Mum, whose love knows no bounds. No matter how disobedient and annoying I am to her sometimes, and for all the worry I've caused her with my health issues, she's always there, a pillar that can survive an earthquake, no doubt.
  2. For Sam, who can turn any sad day into one of laughter. Her happy-go-lucky demeanor keeps me sane.
  3. For Steph. Although I'm not that close to her, she still shows her sisterly love in small numerous ways. I hope she'll be less stressed at work!
  4. For Daddy, who despite his idiosyncrasies, will always be Daddy.
  5. Batman! For bringing naughty, joy, loads of pain and marks of scars into my life. Long live the emperor cat.
  6. Friends. I may not have many friends, and even fewer close friends, but of those I know, they're wholly dependable.

Caffe B: where Italian meets Japanese. I wonder if the 'B' stands for anything?

7. For the small comforts of life, a roof over my head and a bed to sleep.
8. For having the luxury to enjoy good food.
9. For education, and the opportunity and funds to go on exchange.

Best foccacia I had! Toasty but still light, and bursting with aromatic herbs. Those breadsticks packed a big punch too.
10. For life-long learning, and for all the mysteries in the world that makes life fascinating.

The plate the fish carpaccio (thin slices of raw fish; think sashimi) was like a painting palette (except with holes) - so pretty! This looked and tasted more Japanese than Italian, but no matter, it was great. Fresh, no fishy smell and the various citrusy sauces that accompanied the different types of fish (can't differentiate the different types of fish except the center one was probably salmon) paired well. The pesto dressing (not shown) was a little out-of-place though. I enjoyed the center (salmon?) one best.
11. For music and great composers. Like Tchaikovsky, Hans Zimmer, Alexandra Desplat ...
12. For the Bible, God and his teachings. I know I haven't been the most faithful Christian, and I should try harder... the ultimate goal.
13. For Popo, cousins, aunts and uncle, who opened my eyes to the less well-off Singaporeans. May God bless them!
14. For technology, and the wizards who think of even more amazing technology, so that life's such a breeze now. (Of course there are the bad sides but lets ignore that for now.)

Light but full on flavour. The crispy Parmesan, sadly, was no longer crispy, or maybe it was because I'd let it sit too long in the soup  before tasting it. Nonetheless, it still had a peculiar texture - spongy - and its savoury taste complemented the soup well.
15. For diversity in the world.
16. For movies, stories, plays and the fictional world for the extra bit of fantasy land and the spark of imagination.
17. For oatmeal, nuts and nut butter, banana, durian, pumpkin and cinnamon - ok, i just had to say this.

This was the only letdown, and it was quite a disaster. The orecchiette (litte 'ear' pasta) was way undercooked. The basil sauce and garden vegetables (corn, beans and the like) was ok, but nothing like I can't whip up myself. Perhaps I made the wrong choice and should have gone for risotto instead?

18. Nature, and all living and breathing creatures.
19. For the beautiful things like fashion, interior decor etc.

My first ever panna cotta. This was creamy yet light, almost like a souffle. Is that even possible? The mixed fruits reduction of, I think, kiwi, mango and apple, paired well with the wiggly pudding.
20. For the ocean and seas.
21. And (really running out of ideas).... for being born into this world!

Ok. I need to rush off with my last minute packing before I embark on my 3-month trip to London in just a few hours time!

1 comment :

  1. Wootz!! Lovely dress you've donned on there for your big 21! and lovely to see my name up there :) you shld let pups read no. 1! she'd be sooo touched haha. i could tell by no 20 your out of ideas lol.

    well i'm anticipating with eager bever eyes for your new entries on london! bon voyage lil one!

    ReplyDelete