Sunday, August 7, 2011

2 Sacrilege



Often you hear stories how Singaporeans based overseas yearn for local fare like laksa and chicken rice. Two nights ago I was in a position that would be the envy of these overseas Singaporeans: dinner with my college friends at Chomp Chomp, the famous hawker centre at Serangoon Gardens. It was certainly a feast of local delicacies (as pictured from top left): satay, sambal kang kong, rojak, or luak (oyster omelette) and BBQ stingray. In addition, there were BBQ chicken wings and sugar cane juice. No doubt these were tasty, if not a little heavy on the seasonings, but I don't particularly hanker for such food like I do for oatmeal or a veggie sammich with good wholemeal bread. Sacrilegious, I know. The food police might just strip me off my Singaporean citizenship.

[caption id="attachment_86" align="aligncenter" width="529" caption="JJ and me. Chomps was far smaller than I thought."][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_87" align="aligncenter" width="529" caption="Horrible lighting that makes the skin so sallow like jaundice. But love my friends :)"][/caption]

Nonetheless, it was a nice evening catching up with the friends before they get swept away in the tide of school work once the semester starts next week. I'm spared this time round! I can't stop gloating, ha ha.

2 comments :

  1. woot. nice tee shirt. looks like it can be more fitting though. glad you had your fill! but i dont hanker for hawker food unfortunately. i hanker for cedele! fish slice soup. yong tau foo. mmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, you identified yourself as hamster. So cute. You can easily recreate a cedele sandwich. Just need good artisan wholemeal bread, salad leaves and your filling of choice and some spread like hummus/avocado to up the taste factor. I mailed your jacket yesterday. Managed to stuff it in an A4-sized envelope. Hope it doesn't tear! Expect it at your doorstep in a week's time :)

    ReplyDelete