Tuesday, August 9, 2011

3 I have wings

Not too long ago, I discovered I had grown wings. But there's nothing funny about it and it is, in fact, quite worrisome.



In medical parlance it's called winged scapula. For the layman, it is the condition where the shoulder bladebone sticks out unnaturally. Mum alerted me to it a few months back when she hung her arm across my shoulder and noticed that my right shoulder blade protruded more than my left one. I didn't pay much attention to this until recently, when I had more time to... examine my body. When I stand with my right side perpendicular to the mirror, the hump of the right shoulder blade is visible, but less so when I stand with my left side perpendicular to the mirror. It becomes more obvious when I use a face mirror to see the reflection of my back: the right shoulder blade is definitely more prominent than the left one.

I googled for information. The underlying cause of scapula winging is usually muscle weakness and/or imbalance. Some knowledge of anatomy will be useful here. Normally, the scapula is held in the correct position by two opposing muscle groups: the anterior deltoid and pectoral muscles in the front and the serratus anterior muscles and trapezius in the back.



When there is a weakness in the back muscles (serratus anterior & trapezius muscles) and/or overdevelopment of the front muscles (anterior deltoid & pectoral muscles), scapula winging may result. So apparently my front and back muscles are not developed equally. Moreover, those who spend long hours at the computer/sedentary work and do not participate in activities that engage fully the shoulder muscles are at higher risk of developing wings. Hmmm... I think I belong to this group. I'm wondering too whether the wings developed as a result of my scoliosis, or the other way round.



Fortunately, winging can be corrected by exercises that work the back muscles. Now I just need to read up more on the exercises and have the discipline to do them everyday. I don't know how long it will take to go away, or whether it will even go away (hopefully it does!). I just don't want it to deteriorate any further. Imagine a bone protruding out over your t-shirt. Eww. Why must I have so many physical problems?

3 comments :

  1. don't fret too much. time to whip you into shape. once your back frm UK. weights, swimming and a medicine ball should get you on track.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. i like your new blog name. felix fletus (: very catchy and whats more its latin.
    p.p.s i'm memorising the lords prayer in latin.
    p.p.p.s thanks much for mailing the jacket over ! your birthday is in a months time. what would you like this time? its your big two one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Remember the Felix Felicis from Harry Potter? Its a lucky potion drink. I wanted its literal translation (laughtears) initially but it was taken already, both in blogspot and wordpress. U received the uniqlo jacket yet?

    ReplyDelete