Saturday, December 8, 2012

0 Coconut - variations on a theme

What do you do with the remaining coconut flesh once the (utmost refreshing) water has been drunk?. Previously I had mostly used it as a garnish for my oatmeals but its getting boring and given the heaps of coconut flesh, it would take an absurdly long time to complete it, or probably it would have turn to rot even before I finish it. Hence I needed a more large-scale manner of using it.

Here comes homemade coconut milk. Its super easy: just blend coconut flesh (chopped into small pieces) and water in a 1:2 ratio. Strain it using a fine-meshed sieve, or better still, milk it using a milk bag. The best thing about homemade is that you get to adjust the amount of water to your desired thickness. The 1:2 ratio gives a nice mouthfeel and rich coconut flavour without being too jer-lat.

Some of the coconut milk was promptly used in today's breakfast. Fresh is best, no? Frozen banana chunks and blueberries steeped in homemade coconut milk and further thickened with protein powder and chia seeds, then ladled over buckwheat flakes, given a good stir, and the mixture allowed to stand as I busied myself with lunch preps. After about 20 minutes, the result was a pudding-like buckwheat porridge with delightful notes of coconut amidst bursting blueberries. Almonds and sunflower seeds provided some extra crunch. Fantabulous.

So I have another 1+ cups of milk left and amok trei, the Cambodian version of otah, is calling. On the school trip to Cambodia earlier this year, I had wanted so badly to try amok but every time I chickened out at the last minute at the thought of coconut milk. I have since gotten over the fear of coconuts (stemming from saturated fat) - yay! - but unfortunately I won't ever get to try authentic amok less I make a return trip to Cambodia. The alternative is to DIY and that's my Sunday plan for tomorrow! Nevertheless, I still remember the best meal I had in Cambodia - a sweet potato curry at Sugar Palm, Siem Reap. The sweet/spicy gravy was intoxicating! Incidentally there happened to be a widespread blackout that night and dining in the dark (candles provided minimal lighting) made the experience even more memorable. Perhaps to recreate this another time!

As for my weight gain program, I've progressed in a few aspects but failed in others (hangs head in shame). I have successfully maintained by carbohydrate intake and even increased it in a few instances, like doing 95g of rice for dinner last night and 33g of Rude Health "The Oatmeal" oats [the mix of steel cut + scottish is amaze balls!]. Typing this out now, I feel rather silly; what difference does 1g make? But I tell you, every time I look at the figure on the scale, there is this inexplicable urge to reduce. It was a battle each time NOT to reduce and so I think maintaining the amount (which I WILL increase soon) is a baby achievement. The major failure so far is that I DID NOT take my Ensures. I still feel full at 0830 and when the bloatedness tones down by 9+, I fear that when lunch time rolls around, I'd have no appetite. It helps if I'm at home as I can then split the Ensure into morning and afternoon portions, but as I was in school yesterday and today, I couldn't do that and ended up skipping the entire thing.

The question now is that what will my action plan be when I face this situation again? Okay here's what I'll do: I'll bring the half portion of Ensure to school (if I'm going to school) and PROMISE that I'll drink it. No excuses.

I haven't forgotten my recipe for baba ghanoush. I think it tastes even better after a few days in the frige when the flavours meld together. Soon to come!

No comments :

Post a Comment