Wednesday, May 23, 2012

4 To will a will

How do I know God's will? Loaded question, no concrete answers. In search of at least some direction, I attended a talk on this topic at church yesterday. Life is, more often than not, punctuated by a few major crossroads: choosing a college, your career, midlife crisis, and so on. Growing up in a Christian family in Singapore, life has been good and highly structured so far: kindergarten > primary school > secondary school > college > university; the well-trodden, default path of a Singapore kid. But now, after uni, uh... welll? It's like being on auto-pilot all these years and now suddenly you have to manually navigate the direction of your vehicle. In short, I'm quite unsure of my next step after uni, albeit there's still another year to go.

Anyhow, it was my first time going for a specially organized talk on my own initiative. The 40-odd audience were mostly in late 20s and up, so I felt quite young there. The speaker wasn't particularly the 'wow' type, but nevertheless offered some guidance. His main point being, Stop looking for the will of God, and focus on developing a relationship instead. How? As always, through formative reading of the Bible, prayer and counsel.

The thing is, I've said and tried more than a dozen times to read the Bible regularly but it never lasts more than a few days. I mean, the Bible isn't the most exciting book ever. Then another question is where do you start? Do you just randomly pick a chapter a day, or read it consecutively? Do Bible dipping? And so I really admire those who have such great passion for God and great knowledge of his Word. But admiration isn't enough; I want to be part of it. Maybe I should stop my aimless surfing of the net and route my attention to reading the Bible together with some self-help books.

On a side note, I had a quick dinner at Baja Fresh at Rendezvous Hotel before the session. It's a Tex-Mex version of Subway (incidentally, I wouldn't expect a fast food outlet at an uppity class hotel). I placed an order for Original Taco (corn) with Grilled Chicken ($5.95). Service was polite and the food was delivered promptly.

I didn't expect a taco to be like that; I'd imagine a taco shell, like the ones seen on taco boxes in the supermarket. Nevertheless, it was fairly tasty, with lots of kick from onions and cilantro. If you're sensitive to onions, this is not for you. The chicken had a nice smokey edge to it, but it was overly salty. There was a free serving of tortilla chips (unpictured) and free-flow of self-service dips, over a range of spiciness. My favorite was the pico de gallo salsa with fresh tomatoes (the middle of the three dips above), perhaps because it helped to tone down the saltiness of the chicken.

4 comments :

  1. Born to Run the book arrived today and after reading the first chapter, I'm ecstatic to continue reading once my last submission is due. I've got lots christian books at home.. have you heard of The Purpose Driven Life? I liked that. Suppose to embark you on some 40 day challenge. Yeah, reading the bible difficult for me too :/

    But I'm glad your trying. I'm gonna head for some Mexican food as well. Burritos & quesadillas. yumyum. I wanna try making my own guacamole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dark shadows is out ! Are you gonna watch it? feat. Johnny Depp. Gonna have some turkish/mediterranean food tonight, followed by Men in Black in 3D. Moussaka ! Can't wait (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool beans! Turkish, tex-mex and medit are all my favs. This sat, the fam and MX will be having lunch with Auntie Bernie and somebody else (don't know who) at Four Seasons Hotel. I think I came across the Purpose Driven Life very very long time ago. I can't even continue it for 40 days straight. Perhaps stopped at day 7 or 10? Haha.

    Havent watched movies for quite some time. Havent even watched Avengers yet. Nobody to watch with. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. cooool !! i wanna join in four seasons too ):i miss socializing. and dining out. lemme know how it goes ! its okay, when I'm back i can watch some movies with you ! thats if your still free. we've so many places to try dining at yammers.

    ReplyDelete