Sunday, May 6, 2012

4 Sign me up

I persuaded Mum to sign up for Biblethon, a church effort to handwrite the whole Bible. Yep you heard that right. It's a three-prong exercise to celebrate our church (Wesley) upgrading project, to emphasise spiritual building (and not just building of physical structures), and to reinforce this year's theme of 'Speak Good Bible'. We each get 15 minutes to write a number of verses, and the final handwritten Bible will be displayed at the church's archives. I think it's quite an innovative idea to bring people together. I also signed up for a talk called 'How Do I Know God's Will?' Everybody faces some identity crisis now and then, and since it's only two hours and at a reasonable price, I thought it wouldn't hurt to go. It will be my first time attending a church talk though.

Did some atas grocery shopping which put me in a very good mood, albeit significantly poorer. ThreeSixty at Ion has spruced up its line of products; it's range is now even more exclusive - and expensive. Extra virgin olive oils, authentic balsamic vinegars (from the region of Modena or Emilia Reggio and aged at least 12 years), Japanese mini-watermelons at 38 bucks and a mango at freakish 128 bucks! The cheapo me bought varlhona guanaja (70% dark chocolate) just because it was going 2 for the price of 1. I also bought a jar of dried porcini mushrooms which would come in very handy for risottos and soups, and a mini jar of fig jam by Hediard. At realfoodgrocer (Killiney Road), I finally found coconut cashew cream. Coconut oil is now sold at many places including specialty supermarts, but coconut butter is still a tough find. I have yet to find pure coconut butter (without mixing with other nuts).

And last but not least, a very stimulating breakfast that I had this morning, both in terms of color and taste. All my favorite ingredients in a bowl!



Should I or should I not volunteer for SIWW?

4 comments :

  1. Yay that your looking out for coconut produce ! its one of my fav now. Did mum follow you for atas groc shopping? And I’d love to take part in the bible writing too.. wonder if im back end june it’ll still be happening, or perhaps registration would be closed by then. Your looking for coconut butter, like for spreading on bread? Or coconut butter as an alternative form to dairy butter? I’m sure aus sells. Can help you keep a lookout for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.rawmazing.com/homemade-coconut-butter/

    when i head back i'm gna try making my own. meanwhile, there's a few websites in AU that offers online shopping:

    http://www.lovingearth.net/products/37/raw-organic-coconut-butter-oil (gna purchase the chocolate coconut butter too)

    http://www.iherb.com/Artisana-100-Organic-Raw-Coconut-Butter-16-oz-454-g/27155 (ships to sg too)

    oh yeah, i bought a carton of Almond Milk. Tastes... well, I dunno if its the brand, but certainly a unique taste to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incidentally the coconut butter I bought is from Loving Earth! It costs %19.50. It's not pure coconut though but coconut cashew cream (blend of raw cashews with coconut butter). I've tried other nut butters from Artisana (eg almond butter) and that brand rules in terms of their creaminess and nutty taste. Unfortunately that brand is really expensive too. When you add in shipping cost, which may be more expensive than the product itself, it may not really be worth it to order online.

    I didn't really consider making my own but now that you mention it, it's a great idea. Considering how coconut is so cheap in sg.

    I thought u didn't like non-diary milks. Certain brands of almond milk can be really tasteless and diluted. My fav is Silk (from US) but they only sell in 2 L cartons (huge!). Otherwise you can make your own too. Just soak raw almonds overnight then blend with filtered water (1:3 or 1:4 nut-water ratio, depending on how thick you like), then strain. The downside is that you're left with lots of almond pulp.

    I havent opened the coconut btter I bought. I'm just trying out for fun. Like drizzle over oatmeals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I don’t like the taste of non-dairy alternatives but these few weeks I’m forcing myself off dairy. Been googling the downside of dairy especially cow’s milk and why we shouldn’t consume it. Do you not like cow’s milk as well? The brand I bought is Pacific. I just drank a bit and its much better when chilled. Think I saw before in Sg.

    Oh yeah, part of my course requires me to set up a small business, and to come up with a business plan – 45% !! so heavy ): anyway, my concept is an organic store and I just completed the logo. Its called Adam & Eve (I was thinking along the lines of earth.. and A&E came into my mind since they were the first). Hahaha its kind of exciting actually. I need to look a lot into my competitors, which exact location I wanna locate in etc. Shall fb you the image of my logo. I think its pretty cool !

    And yes, lets try making our coconut butter (: yeah sg sells it for so cheap! Can go whompoa and get.

    ReplyDelete