Friday, May 4, 2012

4 Dreams to reality

My dream retail business

Have you ever woke up one day with a brilliant bold idea? For most of my life I've always thought (or have been influenced to believe) that I would end up working in the health/medical/research industry. With graduation impending (about 1 year to go), I've been giving my prospective career more thought. One day I was playing around the Internet, trying to order some Wild Squirrel peanut butter but it ended up that they don't export to Singapore. This is not the first time I've encountered problems in shipping things to Singapore and then it dawned on me that I could be a food purveyor and retailer, specializing in artisanal, unique foods sourced from all over the world. Similar concepts in Singapore would be Brown Rice Paradise, Supernature or Cut the Mustard.

This is totally a wild idea but, why not?

To introduce a fresh concept that has not yet been seen in Singapore, my store would have a bulk bin section for grains, cereals and beans. I first encountered this in Whole Foods (London) and found it extremely useful especially if you just need a small amount of a certain ingredient. There could also be an in-house cafe featuring the products sold and/or homemade products. I could even start my own product line of nut butter and nut milks, sold at a much more competitive price. As for interior design, I'd imagine it to take on a rustic Scandinavian look, that is, lots of whites, light and distressed wood. Possible names for my business would be: Rise for Break Fast (with a focus on breakfast goods) or Pantry Staples (more holistic).

At this point in time, I know nuts about conducting a business, branding and contacts. Maybe I should ask if there's any vacancy at BRP. After all, I still haven't got any proper thing to do during this hols. Does that mean my last three years (four when I graduate) in Life Sciences will be a waste?

-

I feel like I'm just letting each day slip by. Today was yet another uneventful day. Well, at least I made cashew milk in the morning. Then I went TPCC to (finally) register for Passion Card. So now at least I get to present my card when shopping at Cold Storage when the cashier asks. Anyway there was a 5-year membership promotion of $6 (usual price $15 - more than 50% discount!) if you sign up for PA membership and a PA course. I picked the chocolate making class. It's a one-day class, three hours in fact sometime in June. I'm not sure how much you can pick up in just three hours but I think it's going to be fun and a new experience.

Maybe another reason why I'm feeling so dejected has got to do with being rejected by the Prof. After patiently waiting for more than a month, I sent him a reminder email, and to that he said, "thank you for your interest, I have found another student." Err... so thanks, but at least he should have bothered to get back sooner? I've set up another appointment with another Prof next week. He hails from China, works in neurodevelopment, and now I've got some readings to do.

I've just created an Etsy account for no particular reason. I thought it may be useful in my future business, which at this point in time have no idea what it will be. Soap making?

Came across a Natural Chef program in Bauman College in the US. My head is in a whizz now. Good night.

4 comments :

  1. I can so imagine you doing that. And maybe, you’d be better off, yknow, much happier operating your own business (: and I don’t believe whatever you study in uni should affect what you wanna do in the future. Uni sure helps in securing a job in your field, but doesn’t define who your gonna be or what you wanna do.

    Make this dream a reality (:
    And im super full now. Like to the point of feeling sick and not wanting to eat for the next 72hrs. I had thai food which was great – but it wasn’t the thai that made me sick, but rather the total amt of food I consumed today. Gross max.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You’ve interest in soap making? Speaking of which, its mother’s day next Sunday. Any plans? I just ordered a crate of soap for her (hopefully I can sent it in by this 13th May!) then maybe y’can whip something up for her (she always loves that) and present this to her (:

    http://www.estaustralia.com/vendorproduct.aspx?id=107

    Love that brand. Came across it in Melbourne, and am using their lip balm. Bought another lip balm and a ball of soap for us to use when I’m back. You need to find a prof ? so what will the prof do? And what’s a natural chef program?

    I’ve been listening to Tchaikovsky’s music on the radio (they seem to always play his pieces) and its wooow. Grandeur at its best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just happened to find a book on soap making at the library. The only thing is very difficult to find the ingredients like lye (sodium hydroxide, potassium hydroxide), beeswax and all the pure essential oils (for scents), not to mention the cost!

    Are you sure you ordered a crate of soap? Or a bar or soap? Mother's day next Sun. No plans as yet. If you do honours you need to find a supervisor what, like work in his lab and his research project. Natural chef is a culinary program, with focus on nutritional and therapeutic cooking i.e. for people with diseases like cancer or diabetes (generally metabolic syndrome), allergies etc.

    Fav tchaikovsky song has got to be 1812 overture (watch that live in London with gun bombs exploding in Royal Albert Hall!). Another favorite is Swan Lake. For a unauthentic version (but more modern feel), check out Clint Mansell's adaptation in Black Swan on YouTube.

    Also, highly recommend V for Vendetta (film) if you havent watch. Natalie Portman acting inside and music is awesome! Certainly grandiose!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I realized Portman also acts in Black Swan. Haha. She has an affinity for Tchaikovsky.

    ReplyDelete