Wednesday, February 29, 2012

0 Desquamation

Desquamation (Latin desquamare) - to scrape scales off a fish.


I'm undergoing metamorphosis. Transparent sheets of epithelial cells are sloughing off from my forehead and thigh. I admit it is fun to peel off the layers of skin. In fact you'd get a sense of satisfaction when large layers come off easily; the larger the better. But when you come to know about the underlying cause of the sloughing, it becomes not so fun. A peeling sunburn is due to apoptosis, triggered as a result of so badly DNA damage that the cells kill themselves. In a way, this is a defense mechanism protecting cells from cancer developing from the mutations. I shudder to think how many mutations was induced by Cambodia's killer UV rays.

It was just as well I wore jeans today, for my project meeting lasted a mere 10 mins and then I was free... to go for dim sum at YAN TING in the 6-starred St. Regis. With every subsequent meal, my threshold level for dining out seems to increase; each place becoming more atas than the previous. The decor of the classic Cantonese restaurant was less spectacular than expected. Perhaps the low ceiling did disservice to the otherwise beautiful four seasons wall paintings and lush brown-and-cream furniture.

I know you're just waiting to get to the meat of the matter (pun intended). So let's get going.

Steamed crystal shrimp dumpling aka har gow
A thin transparent skin encapsulates a generous amount of fresh, chunky, crunchy and well-seasoned prawns. This simple classic dim sum dish is often killed by thick & starchy skins, but Yan Ting's version is impeccably executed. This set my hopes up for the upcoming dishes.

Steamed shrimp and scallop siew mai
This was not unlike the har gow, both in terms of ingredients and taste. It is however presented in a open-face "siew mai" form, perhaps a disguise to attract people to think it as different and therefore order it? Anyhow, this was a disappointment. I could barely discern the scallops amidst the thick and stiff dumpling skin. My recommendation would be to just stick to the har gow.

XO pan-seared radish cake
Expecting slabs of radish cake, this was served more accurately in the form of "diced" radish cake. It was richly doused in their signature XO sauce, dark and gleaming and very inviting. It was tasty, but I wouldn't say mind-blowing. The cake was mushier than I would have liked (isn't it supposed to be pan-fried and not steamed?) and the XO taste wasn't particularly strong. The additional bits of fried egg and crunchy bean sprouts was a nice touch though.

Char siew pau
Today I threw my pork restrictions to the wind and indulged in one too many pork products. The char siew pau was worth it though - the bread was soft and fluffy as a cloud, the meat was lean, and the sauce struck the right balance between savoury and sweet. Served steaming hot, this was certainly a delight.

Deep-fried meat-filled buns
Not my type of dish, but I tried it out of curiosity. Basically its bits of pork encased in a deep fried pastry. I dug out the meat and left the pastry, which I felt, was too thick and oily.

Shrimp chee cheong fun
I felt the rice rolls were a tad too thick. Give me my $2 handmade rice rolls from Old Airport FC anytime.

BBQ pork pastry aka char siew sou
Source

The highlight of the meal. Buttery pastry, check. Melts in the mouth, check. Meat and sauce, AWSM. Ratio of pastry to meat, perfect. Piping hot, wayy too hot but better than if it were lukewarm! This is a sophisticated version of the char siew sous grandma used to get from seremban.

Egg tart
The mini egg tarts were decently done with wobbly egg custards in a thin biscuit pastry.

OVERALL?
Their classic dishes are well-executed. However, some dishes do not warrant their exorbitant price tag and better value for money dim sums are abound. Would I consider returning here? Yes, if only for their char siew sou (and add to that, I'm technically a non-pork eater).

No comments :

Post a Comment