Thursday, January 5, 2012

1 Balls of fury

2 frozen packets of ground chicken sitting in the fridge set me thinking - what can one do with ground chicken? Stir-fries are boring, it can't be used in soups... how about burger patties? Oh wait, I can't take bread. So the mini patties a.k. meatball idea rolled around. I stuck to a Italian/Mediterranean style with lots of (dried) Italian herbs to complement my cream of Portobello soup.


Italian-style Chicken Meatballs(modified from smitten kitchen)
Yield: 12 meatballs

Ingredients
  • 1/2 lb ground chicken
  • 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs (made from 1 slice wholewheat toast)
  • 1 egg, beaten lightly
  • 1/4 medium red onion, finely diced
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/2 tsp dried Italian herbs
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper (I used white as I didn't have black)
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste, divided
  • 1/2 tbsp olive oil

    Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
    2. Mix all ingredients except olive oil with 1 tbsp tomato paste.
    3. Shape into meatballs of desired size. My meatballs were about 1.5" and the recipe gave 12 such balls. The recipe can be made ahead until this point and refrigerated.
    4. Mix olive oil with the remaining 1 tbsp of tomato paste. Brush over meatballs.
    5. Bake for 25 min or until toothpick comes out clean.


    Twas absolutely delicious! I love the tomatoey taste of the balls, and I expect this to go really well with spaghetti! I wee bit dry, but forgivable.
  • 1 comment :