Saturday, November 26, 2011

2 A forage in the foilage

Yay. I can strike another "to do" off my list. I trooped down to Hampstead Heath after Endo lecture today, after a lunch of mushy pea soup and tuna toast. As Hampstead was off my map, I had to rely on my sense of direction - or what little is there of it. The moment I stepped out of Hampstead tube, I didn't know whether to turn left or right. I gamely took a left turn, which although it eventually brought me to the Heath, was the longer route. It was a blessing in disguise, because the route was very scenic. Pretty English houses and fresh air!

Pictures at the Heath:


At the top of Parliament Hill, the highest point of the Heath!


Shortly after this photo was taken, I got lost. This heath is not your Singapore Botanic Gardens where every 100m you get a location map. There were so many paths - both paved and unmade - and just trees all around. Initially I saw it as an opportunity to "explore" the area, but as time passed and as the sun rapidly sank into the horizon, I started to get a bit scared. The temperature got colder and the wind picked up speed, and yet I was still wandering aimlessly. As long as I saw people around, I figured I was still on the right track; I just had to get an exit. Eventually I tried my luck and tailed two people, where they unknowingly saved my life! I think I was wandering about for about an hour? Phew.

Taken while lost in the woods.


Hampstead Heath kind of reminded me of Primrose Hill, except it was far more extensive and had a "wilderness" feel to it. Although green spaces are abound in central London (all the various Parks), they have this commercialzed, artificial feel with its landscaped trees etc. What Hampstead offered was raw and natural.

Since I was in the vicinity, I had planned to do some grocery shopping the Finchley branch of Waitrose. Here's what I returned with:
Heritage (fortyfold) potatoes! (no more bean soup), wild sockeye salmon (1/3 off), mushroom stir-fry, russet apple, taylors gold pear, sharon persimmons, house-brand soy milk.

Waitrose is far more affordable than Whole Foods. When I visit Waitrose, I'll usually walk away with something; when I visit Whole Foods, I go away empty-handed!

2 comments :

  1. HI SABB

    your pictures are fab!! esp the sheepdog! and the autumn leaves! woowee. so proud of you (: and your whippin up a storm i see! gourmet food. teehee.

    are these places in london as well? i doubt id have time to see these places huh. it wont be long!! can't wait to see ya ;) i'm gg malacca on tue with denise and her parents and aunts/uncles. 3d2n! tue-thur.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's not really a sheepdog, haha, but still very cute eh. The owner was just two steps away talking to a bunch of other pple. Hampstead is in North London (bordering on zone 2 and 3 tobe exact). There are many green spaces in central London itself, like the ever popular Hyde Park, St James Park, Kensington Gardens & Regents Park. I'm sure you can visit at least one :)

    Why u travel with denise's kaki, so weird. What the occasion? 3 days is a pretty long time sto stay in Malacca? Enjoy yourself!

    ReplyDelete